No doubt the lute was part of the compositional process as Jessie Ann
   Owens asserts, and it is difficult to draw any definitive conclusion
   about the exact role of the instrument from the brief bits of
   information in the letters concerning Palestrina. One detail that might
   make some difference to the way we interpret the documents, however, is
   that the term used in the letter is "porre sul liuto," translated by
   Strunk as "to set on the lute" but literally "to place on the lute". In
   sixteenth-century Italian usage, this is the common equivalent of what
   we now would express as "to intabulate". Galilei, for example, writes
   more precisely in his Fronimo and uses the phrase "intavolare sul
   liuto" for the same thing. Strunk's translation is misleading inasmuch
   as "to set" in English can be construed as part of the compositional
   act.  Hence, I think it is quite reasonable to conclude that the
   wording implies that music composed in some other way was "fitted to
   the lute". The phrase at the end of the quote makes it clear that the
   process was not a simple linear progression from composition to
   intabulation, but that the process involved aural judgment, revision,
   correction, etc. the lute very much a part of the composer's toolkit.

   JG