On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:16 AM, Edward C. Yong <ky...@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> Also, I'm wondering if using gut strings in the 30-34°C heat and 85%
> humidity of tropical Singapore would be silly. Anyone in the tropical bits
> of the USA to comment?

High humidity is not so friendly on the strings, but worse on the
instrument. But as long as the lute/strings is/are in a more or less
stable environemnt, you should be able to manage gut. I use gut when
playing in Japan (similar high temperatures and humidity in summer),
and found it not worse than in Europe. Many of the lute playing
members of the LGS in Japan use gut strings.

David