Dear Chris,

   please don't stop. If you come into another flow of writing I will be
   most happy to read your explanations of the following (even if it is
   not exactly about the lute, but guitar is a close-by instrument, isn't
   it?):

   " I'd better stop before I go into my rant about how the the right hand
   intentions of the widely-used Carcassi etudes have been misunderstood,
   misappropriated and bowdlerized in every single modern edition... :)"

   All this fingering stuff is exciting. I wonder a lot, for instance, why
   some great masterns did not use ring finger (if my memory is right I
   read that SL Weiss did not use it, even in playing chords of more than
   three notes - but I'm not sure), or even not middle finger, thus chord
   striking and playing arpeggios seems much more difficult for my humble
   brain. My guitar teacher taught me once to even use the pinky for
   larger chords in case and train it like the other fingers...

   Best

   Franz