My trick when accompanying myself singing is to get the vocal part learnt to the point where I no longer need the music or to concentrate that hard ... and then it's just my hands (in my case on a harpsichord) I need to worry about - having said that I often accompany myself when learning notes but usually at the piano where all note-bashing sins can be assisted by pedals!

Best,

Elly

   Hello.

   In addition to learning the lute, I have started formal vocal training.
   In choosing to sing Caccini I have hit the "how do you play and sing at
   the same time?" problem. Any cunning ideas? And when reading from a
   figured bass how dense is the chordal underlay? Less than with a
   separate Singer?

   Thanks

   Regards .. mark