Thanks to all with your help in identifying the piece.  If you at home guessed
Rondo in D, K. 485, you win!  The thing that threw me off in finding this piece
was that Mozart used a different rhythmic notation in the first measure from
Carulli - I must have flipped right past it in haste.  He writes the opening
rhythm as a half note followed by two quarter notes, each with a small note
appoggiatura.  Carulli correctly realizes the two quarters-with-small-notes as
four eight notes.

In trawling the YouTubes, I was amazed at the number of contemporary pianists
(from pro to amateur) who play these as grace notes.  I spent several minutes
scoping out the Big Names and didn't find anyone who played the first measure
of this rondo right!  I didn't think the distinguishing of small-notes versus
grace notes was esoteric knowledge to people who have obviously been through
conservatory programs, but it still appears to be so in the modern performing
tradition.

Chris