Thank you for this.

   On the subject of Bartolotti's theorbo works,  has anyone yet come up
   with an interpretation of the small numbers under the tablature stave
   in the Prelude starting at f. 90v of Wien NB MS 17.706.   Altho' this
   piece isn't attributed to B.,  a later Allemande in a very similar
   style is. I asked this question a few years ago (in fact 14 Dec 2005)
   but there seemed no convincing view of what they meant. I've pasted my
   original query below and would be grateful for any insights.

   ' What I think are even more problematical,  are the numbers (ie a '2'
   or a '3') appearing under some chords at the bottom of page 90 (179) in
   the theorbo pieces at the back of Wien MS17.706.  At first glance one
   might say these are simply shorthand for bass course tablature, but the
   MS uses the usual strokes  (ie a /a //a  ///a 4 5 6 7) to indicate
   these; is it the number of times the chord is repeated? - but in the
   context  of the particular chord progressions where it appears this
   makes little sense; is it how the chord is to be broken? but the
   relevant chords have varying numbers of notes (ranging from three to 5)
   and he also uses the established ://: sign for arpeggiation; is it some
   LH fingering? - but in the context this again makes no sense.'

   Martyn

   --- On Fri, 19/3/10, "Mathias RAP:sel" <mathias.roe...@t-online.de>