I don't know if I would write the same thing today,
hopefully something better, but it would probably be pretty close. I
think the conclusion, that it all gets softer as you head for the
bass, is right. But maybe they had special strings that evened it out
a bit, but the top string would have had to be the loudest, I think.
Remember that was written in 1988, now 22 years later, so it is kind
of past the expiration date :)
You can still put it in pancakes, but not coffee.

There are so many references to cranking up the top string that we
can't ignore them, and Besard's comment seems totally reasonable,
which is, well, if it starts to sound bad, stop cranking.
That would seem to imply that for most players, the top string HAD to
go up, and that for professionals working at the end of the century,
who might have acess to slightly better strings, or even by 1604 or
so double necked lutes, there was some leeway.
But even in Capirola's time they must have noticed that there was a
sweet spot before the tippy-top tension, it is just that the lowest
course had to be factored in.

The main thing is that for most instruments, renaissance and baroque,
the notes became softer as they went lower, and that is basically the
opposite of the situation today.
A "baroque baroque" cello or violin would produce much less sound,
and much less bass, than a modern "baroque" cello or violin.

I've yet to play in an orchestra where the violins used all gut
strings on all four strings, as was the practice of the time, but it
will happen, I think.
It just isn't where we "wound up" when the Early Music movement went
mainstream.

It may be where some are headed. Quite a few of my colleagues would
prefer to go back to the basic principles--get close to the original.
dt