Dear Jorg,

Your first question is as to whether or not the notes should be played "Germainic " or straightforward, or "French", using inegale. That is not an easy question, and I am not too certain as to the appropriate answer. Certainly, this is French like music in origin, but keep in mind that the date of publication, a rather late 1724 (as compared to the 17th century French publications and manuscripts) suggests to me that due to the time and style, it should me played more Weiss-like, more straightforward. Also, it was published in Frankfurt an der Oder, a distance from France. I studied all the Conradi book for years, and came to the conclusion that it plainly sounds better with lesser inegale, or inequality. That is my hunch, based on how I interpret this fabulous music. Inegality seems more appropriate when there is less of a melody, but Conradi uses long lines in a seemingly later style, so melodically to me I understand it as sounding its best played plainly.

The second question is about those slur marks. There are 2 kinds in this book... one of them, a leagato bow as you say, looks like a smile. The other, appears to be an upside down or inverted smile, or as I call it, a frown. I agree in that the edition was very carefully made, and these markings are very deliberate. Also, I agree that one can not make the "frowns" sound legato. So, I take it to mean or imply a very fast appagiatura, or very fast pull-off. In other works, play the first note connecting the "frown", and on the 2nd note, repeat the first note with a very fast pull-off, or fast appagiatura. I do not have scholarly andwers, but it is what makes sence to me. I find this convincing.

Lastly, thank you for your comments on my recording.

ed