Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:52 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: String tension - HIP

Hi David,

--- On Fri, 3/26/10, David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
Subject: [LUTE] Re: String tension
To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Date: Friday, March 26, 2010, 4:50 PM
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM,

There is so much 20th century baroque performance practice
(I call it
the esperanto early music style) around that is not hip
whatsoever.

I'm a little confused with the way the term HIP seems to be bantered around in early music circles nowadays. It was my understanding that HIP (Historically Informed Performance) came about as a response to the older use of the idea of "authenticity." We modern early-musickers gave up on the chimeric pursuit of "authentic" performances when it was realized that there never was a consistent "olden" style in use in any place or time. Like Ray Nurse said in his lecture in Cleveland two years ago, what do we think is going to happen if the stars align and one should somehow happen to play a piece by Dowland exactly how he would have done it? Will he magically appear and put a gold star sticker on your lute? So what?

Thus, a HIP performance simply means being informed about the sources. One can be perfectly HIP by choosing not to utilize information that is ambiguous, incomplete or contradictory. One could also put in a HIP performance on modern piano, trumpet or electric guitar by studying texts about period phrasing, accentuation and ornamentation. I'd even go so far as to say that HIP-ness sometimes even involves doing something that we know was NOT done if it enhances the musical experience for modern audiences.

What? One example: Performers do this all the time when they decide not to repeat the B section in a rounded binary form because it seems redundant and spoils the effect of conclusion for modern listeners. This even applies to the B sections (which we call development and recapitulation) of first movements of sonatas by Mozart and Haydn, which are nearly all marked with a repeat. This really makes them rounded binaries, but I don't know anyone who plays them like this.

Chris