I expend some work keeping my pegs pushed in, to avoid
the 24-hour catastrophe of having a peg spin loose and
its string de-stretch.  So, it's a somewhat frustrating
that violin/viol/viola/bass players never seem to worry
about this issue.

While tuning, they turn the peg with one hand and bow with
the other hand.  I have never seen them put down the bow, brace
the violin with the right hand, and push in a peg with the
left hand.  And I have never noticed their pegs spinning loose,
despite the dozens of symphonies I've seen with dozens of
string instruments in each symphony.