Hello..

The following from Mr Pepys on Easter Sunday, 7 April 1667:

"...and then to walk in the Parke, and heard the Italian musique at the
Queen’s chapel, whose composition is fine, but yet the voices of eunuchs
I do not like like our women, nor am more pleased with it at all than
with English voices, but that they do jump most excellently with
themselves and their instrument, which is wonderful pleasant; but I am
convinced more and more, that, as every nation has a particular accent
and tone in discourse, so as the tone of one not to agree with or please
the other, no more can the fashion of singing to words, for that the
better the words are set, the more they take in of the ordinary tone of
the country whose language the song speaks, so that a song well composed
by an Englishman must be better to an Englishman than it can be to a
stranger, or than if set by a stranger in foreign words."

Some arguments never get old, do they?  My guess is that the music was
by the Albrici boys who were looking after "The King's Italian Musick"
at the time.  Anyone hazard a guess if that is correct?

.. mark