Those harpsichordists that come from the Bologna conservatory similarly tend to trill every note they can,
to ludicrous results.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Young" <dyoung5...@wowway.com> To: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>; "Roman Turovsky" <r.turov...@verizon.net> Cc: "Mjos & Larson" <rockype...@earthlink.net>; "BAROQUE-LUTE" <baroque-l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Appogiaturas on the lute.

As far as the long, single note, you are correct with that interpretation. They had a different sign for a trill from above or from below. And there were rules about how those were to be realised. I think sometimes performers sneak in extra dabs just to show how clever they are, or liberal with bad taste. Never works. Just makes me cringe. Some day lute performers will join the rest of the informed performance practices world and leave the stygma of the Classical Guitar Gulag. Our instrument is different from most others, but we don't obsess over fingernails. Crikey! We could do a L.S.A. course on proper interpretation of graces. Of course it would apply only to galant era signs...how to prepare for, execute, and finish a proper, expressive, musically rewarding appogiatura, etc.. Various examples from Hagen and Falckenhagen, Kropffganss and Straube, Augsburg Ms. We could spend a minute going over the previous epochs' signs, but why. They weren't quite as prodigious with the ornaments. C.Ph. E. Bach says that the grace note should be held {{{ at least }}} half the note value of the graced note. Mr. Barto has suggested using slight vibrato to extend the life for particularly long appogiaturas, something also available to clavichordists.( now those are the real musicians) Yes! There were exceptions to the rule. But! The rule stands. You may not play the hiccup! The well thought-out Scotch snap or acciaccatura, ok. No hiccup. Please.
           Dale Young
      A guy who buys galant era music recordings...if you make nice.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roman Turovsky" <r.turov...@verizon.net> To: "Dale Young" <dyoung5...@wowway.com>; "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com> Cc: "Mjos & Larson" <rockype...@earthlink.net>; "BAROQUE-LUTE" <baroque-l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:34 PM
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Appogiaturas on the lute.

Exactly my sentiment.
I myself tend to advocate the long single note appogiatura whenever
possible, whether it were historic or not.