     From: EUGENE BRAIG IV <brai...@osu.edu>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: baroque mandolins etc--- tensions and kgs?
     To: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 31 May, 2010, 15:29

      I found the document to which I'd referred.  Not as useful as I'd
      hoped.  There are a pair of receipts issued to the Pieta by two
      different suppliers in Venice that were discovered by Micky White
   and
      made available in 2002.  One was issued by Selles and spans
      March-February 1745, and the other by Montagnana spanning
   June-February
      1760.  There isn't enough detail to be useful in determining string
      gauges.  A typical entry will read something like "un
      maso cantini di mandolino" followed by the sale price.
      I'm just a little skeptical about the usefulness of splitting or
      grinding strings in this context, but would love to hear of somebody
      experimenting with such.  My experience with "polished" gut (that
      fragments the linear integrity of gut fibers) is that it is
   extremely
      short-lived at fine gauges.  Gut, as an organic fiber, tends to be a
      little inconsistent in ways that can sometimes make for questionable
      intonation along its length.  Of course, this is often cited as one
      reason why lutes and guitars carried single chanterelles.  The body
   of
      evidence shows that mandolini typically strung the highest course in
      pairs.  I would think splitting a fine gut string would exacerbate
      issues of inconsistency.
      Best,
      Eugene