I just checked how it works on my lute and, yes, I get a slight difference, too. I guess my ear has been absorbing it. There are a lot of factors going into it so it'll be pretty complex trying to find the root(s) of this. I'll assume you have your frets set to the proper meantone place and, regardless, they should both sound at the same pitch if fretted together.

Could it be that your finger depresses the fundamental and octave differently? I use roped gut and the fundamental, being larger, means I have to press harder on it than necessary to also sufficiently press the octave (I hope this is clear). This bends the fundamental a shade more.

How is the age on your nylguts? They _do_ go out of true over time tho from experience I can only speak to using under .6omm nylguts. Do you get any kind of visual ghost wave when you pluck either string? --this usually indicates an out-of-true string. Are you at all pushing the limits of either string to get the desired pitch --maybe one moreso than the other?

Do you think your fundamental could have picked up any extra mass from your left fingers? Added grease and dirt at one end will screw with their trueness. Likewise, any gut fraying will lighten the vibrating mass at that end (while it's still part of the string it doesn't vibrate together w/ the string) tho this probably isn't applicable in your non-gut case.

When using your tuning box, do you see some wavering of pitch? This is pretty common and might have a bearing on your situation.

Another variable is the flexibility of the vibrating string just immediately next to the fret. One thickness may allow it to vibrate more freely coming off the fret. This, in turn, changes the vibrating length.

Anyway, Peter, those are the first thoughts that come to mind. Any one of these variables may be minimal but if two or more play a role then it could cause a noticable effect. I don't think you want to change to change to dual unison strings just yet. Yes, it may solve this problem but may work against sounding right for the repertory.

hope this helps,
Sean