I'm starting to agree w/ Ed more on the idea that a monofilament nylgut rings at more than one frequency, confounding the ear and tuner box. Ironically, I think the near perfect smoothness and controlled diameter do this. It is very near perfect when manufactured and unstretched but changes unevenly when tension is applied. When the string is first struck its natural period of length/diameter/tension is dominant. Over time (of length of the ringing note) other factors (uneven diameters) come into play creating the discrepant tone or warble. This is less prevalent in heavier strings over longer lengths (theorbo basses) but will be more noticable on higher tension thin strings (chanterelles); i.e. the greater the ratio of tension to diameter (greater tension : smaller diameter) the more the 'warble'. You are noticing it on the 6th course because you have a solid tone right beside it.

Guts, otoh, either stretch more evenly or somehow cover for their discrepant tones. Nylon, being more stable, keeps its diameters over length more evenly. Unfortunately, nylon is a little too dense for general lute use.

I recently went all gut for a short 1/4 meantone project and was happily amazed at the ease of tuning. (Hooray, 5th fret chanterelle in tune against its 3rd course 8ve every time!!) It's hard to financially justify this for any length of time since the little guts have their own shorter half life. So for practicing and noncritical playing I'm living w/ the wolves. They don't howl but they do whine.

Sean