There are some nice videos that will answer some of your questions on
   the Lute Society of America web site
   [1]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/download/index.html
   Scroll down to the section that has Instructional Materials.
   Nancy Carlin

        I have a few questions for the experienced players out there who
     might
        be so kind as to answer.  I've been working through the Poulton
     book &
        have taken one lute lesson (no teachers within 75 miles of where
        live), and I am still a bit puzzled by the proper right-arm
     position
        when playing.  Poulton states that the arm should cross the body
     of the
        lute "about level with the bridge"- I assume that this means that
     if
        one drew an imaginary line extending the bridge to the upper edge
     of
        the face, then the arm should cross near that point.  Is this
     correct?
        If so, then if one also keeps the hand in line with the forearm,
     then
        the hand tends to cross the strings at nearly 45 degrees and the
     elbow
        points uncomfortably outward (assuming the lute is held more or
     less
        horizontal).  Thumb-under technique is also difficult. Elevating
     the
        headstock helps, but for a long-armed chap like myself the lute
     ends up
        nearly upright, and I figure this is probably not right.
        Now, I find having the arm cross at a point just below the upper
     rear
        bout of the body- behind the bridge- to be the most comfortable
     and
        natural.  Have I simply misinterpreted Poulton?  It seems that
     there is
        a fair amount of variation amongst players in regards to this
     issue.
        Is it a matter of "whatever feels best", and should I not take it
     that
        seriously?
        Finally, I find that in whatever position I use, the edge of the
     face
        (where it meets the body) tends to dig into my forearm where it
        crosses, and this becomes pretty uncomfortable after a little
     while.
        Is this common & something to get used to, or does it signify
     that I'm
        holding the lute wrong?
        Many thanks!
        John (from Ohio)

   Nancy Carlin Associates
   P.O. Box 6499
   Concord, CA 94524  USA
   phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
   web sites - [3]www.nancycarlinassociates.com
   [4]www.groundsanddivisions.info
   Representing:
   FROM WALES - Crasdant  & Carreg Lafar,  FROM ENGLAND - Jez Lowe & Jez
   Lowe & The Bad Pennies, and now representing EARLY MUSIC - The Venere
   Lute Quartet, The Good Pennyworths & Morrongiello & Young
   Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
   web site - [5]http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org