I think David van Ooijen has probably experimented more than me, but I
   bought a couple of pure silk shamisen strings once. It became clear to
   me, that without knowing the guage, tension etc. it was kind of a shot
   in the dark. They didn't sell them by gauge in the shop I bought them
   in. They seem pretty strong, but a little twangy for my taste. I must
   qualify that judgement with the caveat that I didn't find the optimal
   tension and haven't played around with them that much. They weren't
   cheap so I didn't continue to experiment.

   Most of us come around to gut eventually, when it comes to purity of
   sound. Touring is another situation where stability may outweigh the
   downside of gut.

   YMMV