Dear Mathias and the List,

in that book there are songs with continuo bass. So no instrumental music
or tabulature. Of course there is the most proper continuo instrument.
Bellerofonte is holding that in the picture, of course.
And the music is good!

BTW this is the just the book with the famous reasoning against
countertenors/castrati:

"And because [the pieces] handle either the love or the anger the lover
feels to the loved one, [the music] is represented in the tenor clef, where
the intervals are proper, and natural to be told[!] by a male; it appears
to the author to be a thing to be laughed at, when a man, with a voice of
woman, expresses his reasons, and asks for pity in 'falsetto', to/from his
loved one."

Years ago I wrote a small "article" on that preface, see
  http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/Castaldi.html

All the best,

Arto