It is virtually identical to a 'screw and eye' mechanism of a modern bow, mounted on a brass plate. The 'screw' is let into holes on both ends of the plate and the 'eye' ends with a hook (to which the string is fastened) that slides along the slot of the plate. I never bothered to take photographs of it myself but you may find images on this page useful:

http://www.art-robb.co.uk/EG.html

Alexander