On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Sean Smith wrote:

> It's a lot of stuff I know but I went the standard route and:
>
> --first bought the Virtual Machine to load Windows: Parallels (there are
> others)
>
> --loaded a copy of XP from the olden days when we had Windows machines.
>
> --bought the Fronimoes.
>
> This was all years ago. There may be programs to emulate or open windows that
> have come out since but I don't know of them. It's a shame to have to go this
> complicated for a program that runs on W. 95 --I still usually use Fronimo
> 2.1-- but there you are.

Just a few weeks ago I I had to run a Windows program and installed VMware
Fusion on my Mac. This does almost precisely what Sean describes, except
that Windows runs in native mode on the current generation of Intel CPU
based Macs.  As a consequence, it runs much faster than it would in
emulation mode.  It's not complicated, although it's not what I would call
elegant either, but it works.  VMware Fusion can run a variety of
different versions of Windows.

> There are occasional hick-ups (printers, keyboard layouts) but it works OK.
> As
> a matter of fact I was just playing the r. guitar off the screen when I read
> your note. ;^)

I have not witnessed any hick-ups, just passing coughing fits, as occurred
when I tried to use the USB port from Windows for the first time.  I
assume that this is standard Windows trouble and has little to do with
VMware.

I have not tried Fronimo, but I might eventually, if I ever overcome my
aversion of MS -- how ominous an abbreviation!

Peter.