   From: Martyn Hodgson [mailto:hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk]
   Sent: 20 October 2010 08:55
   To: Stewart McCoy
   Subject: Re: [LUTE] Lute volume

   Dear Stewart,

   This seems an odd view to me - surely if we have any pretensions to
   trying to hear what the early auditors heard we ought to eschew such
   electronic amplification - otherwise we end up with a sound world the
   composer could not have reasonable expected. If the lute is not audible
   and the player's skill (and ability to play loud - for a lute) is
   undoubted perhaps the difficulty lies in the unecessarily raised volume
   of other parts (vocal and instrumental)?

   I think the key is where you say 'if you want people to hear what you
   are playing' .....

   yours

   Martyn