   From: [1]Ron Andrico

   To: [2]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk

   Cc: [3]l...@cs.dartmouth.edu

   Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:48 PM

   Subject: RE: [LUTE] Re: More digital facsimiles from the (public)
   libraries?

     (Donna here) Thanks, Monica. My last day job was digitizing
     materials for Cornell's Rare & Manuscript Library, and my response
     to this thread became so long-winded that Ron suggested it should be
     a blog post.  So be it:
     [4]http://mignarda.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/just-put-it-all-online/
     > Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:02:51 +0000
     > To: [5]vidan...@sbcglobal.net
     > CC: [6]l...@cs.dartmouth.edu
     > From: [7]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk
     > Subject: [LUTE] Re: More digital facsimiles from the (public)
     libraries?

     > As a retired librarian it seems to me that everyone will be better
     off if
     > you have your way except the poor old libraries and librarians who
     need
     > money to keep their heads above water. Without us there wouldn't
     be any
     > books available or a decent place to read them. Why should people
     make
     > money out of doing an edition or even publishing a facsimile but
     the not the
     > people and organizations who
     > have made sure that these things are preserved in the first place?
     >
     > In any case even a facsimile is not a substitute for seeing the
     real thing.

     > Monica

     PDF,
     > > and upload it, and I guarantee that everyone will benefit.
     > > This also prevents players from owning a repertory by limiting
     access.

     > > If scholars want to sell the commentary as a separate book, that
     is
     > > also fine, and continues an established tradition.
     > > dt
     > >

     > > At 12:32 PM 11/10/2010, you wrote:
     > >> Still something that I don't get:
     > >>
     > >> why are some public (public) libraries slowly making all their
     MS