Dear Mark,

    Definitely get a strap, which will allow you to sit up straight and
   not hunch over to secure the lute.

    I also use a vinyl-covered foam pad under the lute to help stabilize
   the instrument--a classical guitar pad adapted to fit the end of the
   lute. I don't know of anybody also who does this, but it works for me.

   Jim Stimson