   gratification is all very well, but how many people have that sort of
   patience?  How many never get started on the lute as a result?

   All power to cheap, available lutes!
   On 23 November 2010 14:04, G. Crona <[1]kalei...@gmail.com> wrote:

     Here they are Chris, your "200 Dollar Lutes" :)
     [2]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_renaissance_lute_8_15.htm?sid=97
     53fb3d0aa7c9b6ed40b37c1dab3d28

     [3]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_renaissance_laute.htm?sid=9753fb
     3d0aa7c9b6ed40b37c1dab3d28
     can't vouch for quality though!
     G.

     ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Wilke"
     <[4]chriswi...@yahoo.com>
     To: "Margaret Munck" <[5]meg.mu...@gmail.com>

     Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:45 PM

   Subject: [LUTE] Re: EMS Lutes

     All,
     I think the real issues with student lute pricing is that very few
     take it up as their first instrument.  The vast majority come from
     some guitar background and they will have already spent a fair
     amount of money on other guitars or other instruments by the time
     they get to the lute.
     I think my own situation is not atypical: I already had a bachelor's
     degree in classical guitar performance before I even touched a lute.
     Just before I graduated, I mentioned to my teacher how much I
     enjoyed playing lute transcriptions.  He said I could buy a cheap
     lute "for around $200" if I "wanted to mess around with it on the
     side."  The thought had never occurred to me and it hit me like a
     lightening bolt: play lute music... on a LUTE!?!?
     Needless to say, I searched for months for that $200 lute.  All of
     the instruments on Wayne's page were hours and hours away from me.
     I wasn't about to send $3,000 to some random person in California or
     Spain.  I really couldn't believe there was no one within an hour or
     two's drive selling a lute so that I could at least try it out.
     After a while I was getting discouraged and was ready to give up.
     By chance I happened across a big name lutenist online selling a
     10-course.  It was way more money than I wanted to spend and my
     fiance was a bit miffed, but, knowing next to nothing about lutes,
     this seemed like a sure bet.  I have to admit, I probably had some
     stars in my eyes and this was no doubt partially a factor in buying
     this particular lute.  I suppose it worked out for the best: I'm now
     almost finished with my doctorate in lute performance and she's
     still with me.
     I wonder - Would things have turned out differently if I'd been able
     to get a cheapy in my hands two weeks after I spoke to my teacher?
     Would I have kept up the interest with an inferior instrument?
     Still, who knows if the instrument with name recognition hadn't come
     my way?
     Chris

   Peter Martin
   24 The Mount St Georges