Take a piece of Fretgut--I use Pyramid fretgut--or the right
thickness gut string.
Create one loop or half hitch near the end
Shimmy the knot down to the end of the string, and leave just enough
space--a little hole, sort of-- for the other end (later) to go through
NB: This is a slip knot, which is what you want. You want it to slip.

Burn the stub end with a soldering iron or match to make a mushroom
end. Be carefull.

Placing the half-knot on the back of the fingerboard, two thirds of
the way "up" (towards the bass side) and run the long end
around--(under the strings, DOH!) and through the little space in the
knot you left.
The inserted string will slide easily through the hole you made, and
you want to make that string do a 180 turn eventually.
Pressing the knot with the thumb, pull hard upwards. Hold don the
fret with the fingers of the same hand on the fingerboard side.
The knot will slide and the fret will become tight. The harder you
pull, the tighter it gets.

Make sure the string is about one fret from where it will end up.

Cut the long end, leaving 4mm stub, then burn or heat the end untill
it is flush with the knot. Don't burn the knot.
Move the fret up

I use a lighter, but for finer control use a pencil type soldering
iron, available on eBay for $5

There are many other knots you can use, but this one gets the first
fret super tight. Also, you don't need to cut the fret till you are done.
The harder you pull, the less the knot slides--it is adjustable.

dt