Jon,

Its the other way around. The edge is very hard, high carbon steel. It is so hard that the chisel would snap if it were hit. The backing is softer metal, the best being some sort of wrought iron, very tough, with a fibrous grain structure. The tough iron supports the brittle steel.

There are different grades. My bench chisel are designed to take a blow from a mallet. The paring chisels, however, are too thin and hard for that - they must be pushed.

In my shop these chisels are recognized as "sacred objects" - employees use them at their peril! They are great to work with , a real problem if they are nicked, for the edge steel is so hard that it is difficult to work a nick out. We use old shop-made stuff and my Marples set when there is a chance that a nail would be hidden in the workpiece.

GHB