To: "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:09 PM
Subject: [LUTE] lute piece by Brian Wright (and fret n)

In the latest Music Supplement to Lute News, nestling between formidable-looking fantasias by Diomedes on one side and an even more formidable-looking Bach transcription for Baroque lute on the other, is a piece by Brian Wright.

This is unusual territory for a lute, I think. It's not technically difficult. Well, there are no fast runs nor tricky rhythms.But it does use very high positions, including fret n, the twelfth fret. I've always thought I had a decent lute but my fret n is almost a pitchless plink. The music also calls for fret l on the fifth course and the maker of my lute hasn't extended the little wooden fret to cover the fifth course. And I don't think I've ever had need of it.

(On a guitar, at the twelfth fret one might be thinking of apoyando and ripe vibrato but presumably this situation is different)

So I wonder what other people's lute sounds like at n on the first course? I'm happy enough with my first course (sounds like a meal...) up to l but thereafter, not a lot is happening.

Here's a go at it (with some mangly bits that really stick out in this context)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L72Hhwk-a7k

Stuart