Martin-
If Dowland didn't have body frets on his instruments, does that mean he had
upward of 10 or 11 frets on the neck - even 12?  Does this mean very long
necks?  And would that mean a small body, or a larger body and perhaps a long
string length?  How long a string length would be practical, in  your opinion,
for him to have been able to play his more complex works (ones involving chords
requiring long stretches between fingers) ?

Many questions, I know, but other than the information that he went from 7
course instruments to  10 or more courses later in life, I've not seen any
detailed description of his instruments.

Thank you,
-Ned