Very interesting.  Thanks for this, Alexander.

Peripheral, but the "Treatyse of Fysshynge With an Angle" was first
published (as you've referenced) as only one small part of an all purpose,
late-medieval outdoorsmen's compilation generally known as the Book of St.
Albans.  It also included treatises on hunting and falconry.  The fishing
treatise is in prose while the other two are in verse and are attributed to
the mysterious and now mythical Dame Juliana Berners (i.e., "Explicit Dam
Julyans Barnes in her boke of huntyng").  There is a partial manuscript
version of the fishing treatise dated to approx. 50 years earlier than this
publication.  The fishing treatise does indeed describe selecting, plaiting,
and coloring tail hairs from horses as the only reference to fabricating
fishing lines.  Likewise, The Compleat Angler, Isaak/Izaak Walton's
celebrated book, also only discusses braided horse hair as fishing line.  It
was first published in 1653, but expanded editions by the author himself
were published through 1676.

Eugene