     From: A. J. Ness <arthurjn...@verizon.net>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: RV93 - which instrument?
     To: "Lute Dmth" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Martyn Hodgson"
     <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Date: Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, 20:56

   See below.
   ----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson"
   <[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: "Lute Dmth" <[2]l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 4:39 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] RV93 - which instrument?
   <<<SNIP>>>
   >   It is much more likely that the instrument required is the 18th
   >   century Italian 'leuto'  (sometimes but by no means always in its
   >   arcileuto configuration) tuned, I and others have suggested, like
   the
   >   old lute in a nominal G (but sometimes A); an E tuning has also
   been
   >   proposed - tho' this is most unlikely in view of the string length
   of
   >   these instruments. The general size of these instruments can be
   deduced
   >   from contemporary iconography and there are good early/mid 18th
   century
   >   Italian paintings showing lutes being played (often just 7 course
   >   instruments - perhaps even old lutes?)  suggesting string lengths
   close
   >   to old G lutes (ie generally low/mid 60s cm). A number of these
   >   instruments survive in modern collections and often in a pristine
   state
   >   by makers such as Radice. As first suggested by Bob Spencer these
   >   instruments would have played from staff notation (like Dalla
   Casa):
   >   often using the octave transposing G2 clef but also, I suspect,
   also
   >   using the normal bass clef for basso continuo.
   >
   >   Whether Vivaldi was concerned about these pieces being played on a
   >   'baroque' ie Dm lute rather than an instrument in the old tuning I
   >   think we will never truly know (since he didn't expect modern
   >   organologists to delve into the question) but what can be said is
   the
   >   the one lute work which he did indisputedly conceive for the Dm
   lute
   >   (the double concerto with viola d'amore) RV 540 was first performed
   in
   >   1740 and its fits well on the instrument - much more so than the
   >   earlier 'leuto' works. We also know that the Dm lute made
   surprisingly
   >   very little impression in 18th century Italy.
   >
   >   In short, if in doubt play these works on a 7 course lute (tuned in
   >   nominal G or A) but use overwound on the lowest courses, unlike the
   >   wholly gut strings of earlier generations. Also, I suspect, they
   >   employed a significantly higher string tension than earlier
   generations
   >   (the extant 18th century leuto seem more robust than earlier lutes;
   use
   >   of nails to pluck) but then, of course, you risk damaging the
   >   instrument.............. Alternatively, if you really want to hear
   what
   >   contemporary audiences expected, get a special instrument made.
   >
   >   MH
   ================================
   Bob Spencer may have been thinking about the _Sinfonia `a Solo di
   Archiliuto_
   (lute with basso continuo), transcribed here from a score formerly in
   Bob's library.
   [3]http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/sinfonia.ht
   ml
   He purchased it in 1956 (ex-Harrach?), along with two concertinos (one
   with "organo" continuo--see below) for the same instrument, and the
   Lauffensteiner suite published by the Lute Society. The instrument
   sounds an octave lower in the treble clef, and at pitch in the bass
   clef. The works are thought to be Bohemian in provenance.
   (If you download the Sinfonia from my site, use the *.PDF files at the
   bottom of the page--they reproduce the notation clearly.)  It shouldn't
   be difficult to
   determine the tuning.
   Beware of the Malipiero editions for Ricordi (the edition you are
   most likely to encounter in a music library) because he often does not
   indicate the full lute part.  Almost always Vivaldi has the lute
   playing
   "col basso" in the Tutti.  That is, the lute plays basso continuo.
   Malipiero
   gives rests, usually without explanbation!  Peter Segal (Production
   d'Oz) gets it right in his excellent
   editions of the Vivaldi pieces (score and parts), but in a bow to
   guitarists
   uses the treble clef (Vivaldi's manuscripts use bass clef when the lute
   plays basso continuo).
   I notice in at least one of the Vivaldi score (lute, mandolin) the
   strings
   are instructed to use mutes ("con sordino").  There are other lute
   concertos
   which likewise call for muted strings.  One of the Vivaldi concertos
   calls
   for "organo" continuo, and that is what Paul O'Dette uses in that early
   CD. I don't hear him play
   continuo in the tuttis, and he seems to follow Malipiero's faulty score
   in
   that regard.
   AJN