I converted a Bolivian charango into a Scot's mandora a few years back, I was working from Ronn's tunings in his Scottish Lute book (and CD). The mandora itself is a relatively large instrument in the lute family - the Scot's mandora is an entirely different beastie (the Scots probably just took the name into the language - as was often done with early instruments).

I have copied into my computer the full repertoire of the Scot's mandora - The Skene Mandora Book of 1615. The copy is hard to read as it was from photo copies of photo copies of the original handwritten document that I got from the Lute Society of America. (Ronn used the same source, and extracted from it for his book on the Scottish Lute).

The mandora Ronn plays on his recording is a very small instrument, and quite difficult to get the fingers into. (I've met Ronn, and we've compared notes. The instrument he used for the recording was borrowed from friends.) My "faux mandora" has a vibrating length (bridge to nut) of about 14 1/4" - and that lets me tune to a max for the top course of e'' or f'' (where middle C is c') before the string breaks. (A note: no matter the gauge of the string it will break at the same pitch, given the length and the material). The book tuning is for a top course of g", so the instrument Ronn is playing is a bit shorter than the 14 1/4" that mine is.

The Scots mandora has five courses of paired strings, and a unique tuning. It is tuned in fifths and fourths. I tuned mine to d", g', d', g, d as that puts me in tune with a lot of Celtic music. Because of the tuning it is almost impossible to chord the instrument - it is a throwback to the days of melody enhanced with open two note chords. The lute and guitar, and the Italian mandoras (and mandolinas, and etc.,etc.) use fourths with one third as intervals between the open strings (the lutes and guitars just place the third differently). This is an advance in the scaling of the instrument that allows for more harmony within the instrument.

Yet the Scot's mandora is a fun thing to play, it is a quick little instrument that is mainly melody with "divisions" (the variations on the melody that are adornment). A simple sequence is played, then the divisions added, then more divisions. It is similar in that way to early lute. The step to the next open string alternates between the fifth and the seventh fret, you will have to learn a new scaling.

As to making one, just make very small lute or guitar with five paired courses. I made mine from a charango as Bill told me of the Bolivian enterprises selling charangos - got mine for sixty bucks as the business was new. The conversion only required filing the nut and reaming the bridge to accept the wound strings I needed for the bottom two courses (the charango is re-entrant, the lower two are higher, sort of a five string ukelele). Then it was just a matter of calculating the string gauges for the mandora tuning.

I am capable of giving you the dimensions for the vibrating length and fret divisions, should you decide to make one. I suggest that if you have normal sized fingers, and play other fretted instruments, that you avoid trying to make a Scot's mandora that will tune to the g" that Ronn plays - Ronn has special talent in moving from the one to the other, but even he will tell you it ain't easy to fit the fingers in those frets.

In summary, the Scot's mandora is a ten stringed instrument in five paired courses. It is a short instrument with a top pitch in the octave above middle C, with the classic being G two above middle C. It can be made and played in a different range. The key is the tuning in fourths and fifths. I love it, I can pick it up and entertain myself. And it is fun to work off the tuning by improvising.

Best, Jon