There is a very instructive study about this picture:
Susan foister et al.: making & meaning / holbein´s ambassadors. National
gallary company, london & yale university press. 2001.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag
von Jaroslaw Lipski
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. Februar 2011 23:02
An: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Betreff: [LUTE] Re: Holbein painting - precision and accuracy

Anthony,

I agree, it is possible that Holbein painted the ambassador's lute.
However, there is some inconsistency in the way he treated details. Some
of them are very accurate (like the music), some are not (the globe). On
the other hand we don't know who was wrong Holbein or the drawing on the
globe (they didn't have computers then and we don't know who was a
cartographer). If he was able to depict proportions of string gauges,
then why suddenly he lost all his patience while painting the bridge
holes ? One can see that he used very small diameter brushes, so there
wouldn't have been any problem, had he seen proper size holes on the
lute. Maybe he was not a lute expert, but I think he just saw big holes
on the instrument. What was the history of that instrument?. Maybe the
owner changed stringing for lighter one, but it's difficult to imagine
such a thick gut to fit the hole on 6c and to sound reasonably well.
Hmm....really makes me wonder. All best

Jaroslaw