----- Original Message -----

   From: "Christopher Wilke" <[1]chriswi...@yahoo.com>
   To: "wikla" <[2]wi...@cs.helsinki.fi>; "A. J. Ness"
   <[3]arthurjn...@verizon.net>
   Cc: "Charles Browne" <[4]char...@brownecowie.fsnet.co.uk>; "Baroque
   Lute List" <[5]baroque-l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 5:14 PM
   Subject: Re: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Ms. Lei. II 6 14 ?

   Arthur,
   --- On Fri, 3/4/11, A.  J. Ness <[6]arthurjn...@verizon.net> wrote:
   > By the way, did you notice that the Lachrimae motive is sounded in
   tghe
   > lower line at the
   > beginnig of Gallot's "L'Amat malheureux" (No. 98)? Weiss also made an
   > arrangement of that piece.
        It just so happens that in a few hours I'll be giving my doctoral
   lecture recital at Eastman.  The topic is Weiss's use of timbre and I
   discuss these versions in my presentation.

   <<AJN>> Good luck!  How I wish I could be there to hear you talk and
   play.  I once planned a talk on "L'Amat malheureux," but someone else
   on the program chose the same topic, so I had to move on. to something
   else.  It wanted to relate it to the lament.   Anyway best of luck with
   your lecture this evening.  In Kilbourne Hall?  (You know I studied at
   Eastman.)  Opps! I meant to send this yesterday afternoon.  I am
   certain your presentation was a wonderful success.  I hope you will
   write it up for the Lute Society of America Quarterly, or its Journal.

        I think this amply demonstrates why Arto is calling for more
   uniformity in naming as well as connecting names with catalog numbers.
   There is the version of L'Amant Malheureux in London with the number
   LbmI, which is easy enough to find.

   <<AJN>> Don't let me get started it's too close to dinner.  But the
   careless naming lute manuscripts is one of my pet peeves. And I join
   Arto in his complaints. Too often the names are not chosen correctly,
   and the incorrect name results in misunderstandings about the nature of
   the works contained within the manuscript.  You'll have to let me leave
   a list of examples for later.  I was discussing the topic with Steve
   Immel (proprietor of Old Music and Incunabula) at the recent annual
   meeting of the Music Library Association in Philadelphia.  And I
   purchased a facsimile of  "other half" of a misnamed lute manuscript,
   the Nauclerus Lute Book.  Not to be mistaken for the Bakfark-Nauclerus
   Manucript which is misnamed.<g>

   <<AJN>>The Bakfark-Nauclerus manuscript has pieces attributed to "VB"
   (concordances show it is Valentin Bakfark) and MN, which the person
   naming the manuscript thought to be M. Nauclerus, because one pieces
   seems to read "M. Naucl."  But it read "Neud," an abbreviation  for
   Neusidler, whose authorship of the pieces attr. to "MN" can be
   confirmed through concordances as Melchior News idler (son, not brother
   of Hans N.).

        But then there is the version in g minor in PnVmc61.  This is the
   so-called "Paris" manuscript.  Not just the Paris manuscript, the
   "Paris Thibault" manuscript.  Not just the Paris Thibault manuscript,
   ONE of the Paris Thibault manuscripts.  I can't recall which volume
   number off the top of my head even though I've recently researched it.
   This number is of course not connected with its current catalog number.

   <<AJN>> I have a guide to the Thibault manucripts on my web
   site.  [7]http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/thibault.html
       There are also the two versions (allemande en double and gigue) in
   ROI.  The Deutsche Lautengelsellschaft recently published this as the
   "Rohrau" manuscript, but in English we're apparently calling it
   "Harrach I and II."  Tim Crawford has an excellent discussion of this
   source in a recent LSA Journal.  This is not to be confused (but
   undoubtedly will be by some) with the already known "Harrach"
   manuscript in New York.

   <<AJN>>The Pachelbel works in Nuremberg are also from Harrach, I
   believe, as well as sinfonias /concertinos in pitch notatoin that Bob
   Spencer owned. One is on my web site:
   [8]http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/sinfonia.ht
   ml

   Regards, Arthur.