Thanks, Roman, but this shouldn't be taken as an illustration of what I meant. I'm sorry that I don't have the means to throw it up on the web at the moment.

Think stabilizing triangle from strap-end to pegbox.

On Mar 10, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Roman Turovsky <r.turov...@verizon.net> wrote:

I've made a little chart of how to tie the strap to prevent rolling/ slipping:
http://torban.org/images/strap.jpg
RT'

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean Smith" <lutesm...@mac.com>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:43 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Strap slips off left shoulder.

Tie the strap off at the butt end of lute in the usual way. Where the strap ends over the left shoulder attach a long loop of string (I like a dark shoelace). Let one end run over the peg at the nut end of the pegbox and the other at the tip (or wherever you like considering all those pegs to choose from). Make a few loops around varius pegs on the far side to finetune the length and to keep it from traveling.

I've done this for years. I can stand or sit and expect zero lute rotation. It also keeps my shoulders 'square' and non slumpy which may help your slippage problem.

Sean