The "symbolism" can be found in Olivier Bernier's biography of Louis
XIV. At the time he struck his foot, Lully was conducting a Te Deum
written to celebrate Louis' recovery from a serious illness. The
doctors had so botched the job on the king, which involved surgery
(without anesthetic of course), that Lully wanted them no where near
him. Even when gangrene set in.

Peter Danner