On Mar 27, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Ron Andrico wrote:

>  Chris:
>   Let's not be too hard on poor Striggio's and his choices for writing in
>   40-60 parts.  Try it yourself observing 16th century norms of
>   counterpoint and the handling of dissonance.
>   Ron Andrico

Indeed.  The more voices in the texture, the simpler the musical ideas need to
be.  Josquin's 24-voice Qui Habitat and Ockeghem's 36-voice Deo Gratias are
strikingly similar to 20th-century minimalism, and I recall someone (Andrew
Parrott?) writing about how the voices in Spem in Alium (likely Tallis'
response to Striggio's 40-voice Ecce Beatam Lucem) "hop about" just to avoid
consecutive fifths or octaves.