This reminds me of a question raised when I wrote a piece supposedly for lute
(6 course) ages ago.  I showed it to a lutenist who said it was really guitar
music.  Well, I'd written it using a guitar (tuned appropriately of course)
having no lute to use.  But it seems to me that its more a question of the
musical style, my piece being a sort of quasi-classical sonata type of thing.
So what would the general understanding be, how non-traditional musical
style/content affects whether a piece would be considered lute-like?  Are there
really, subtle aspects of how the instrument works, differently from guitar
that would trump these...in which case how would a non-lutenist ever write for
lute?
(Aside - I've just had a major piece written for guitar by a non-player, some
of which is a little challenging and pushes the boundaries...which is rather
the point to a degree?)

Stephen

Stuart Walsh wrote:

Gilbert Isbin has written some lute duets, "3 contemporary lute duets" published by the Lute Society, 2009. Here is a go at one of them: 'And Autumn Came'.