Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 9:06 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Foscarini Experience again

On 31/03/2011 22:08, Stuart Walsh wrote:
On 31/03/2011 19:53, Monica Hall wrote:
I came across this CD by the group Foscarini Experience with the title
    "Bon voyage" some time ago.

I looked around to see if I could hear some of the tracks as samples. Couldn't find anything but I did find an album by 'Private Musicke' (who played at Edinburgh last year with an opera singer) and there are some samples from this album, Echo de Paris:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Accent/ACC24173#listen

It's interesting that the one solo of Corbetta's and the several of Bartolotti are played actually as solos - very fluently (but perhaps, at the gushing rather than the pinched, end of the spectrum) whereas Foscarini (and Briceno) get a complete makeover. Actually playing through Foscarini you struggle to find anything musically coherent at all - but on this album, his (ahem) music bursts forth as colourful, radiant and beguilingly tuneful.

(i.e. this is all rather curious...where did all these arrangements come from - and arrangements of what in the first place?)

Stuart

     In the liner notes it mentions an
    illustration which features Foscarini on a wagon playing the lute
    together with a girl with a triangle and a violone player which
apparently dates from 1615 and is part of an illustration of a feast
    held for the Archduchess Isabella Clara Eugenia, the wife of the
    Archduke Albert.

    Does anyone know anything about this illustration and whether the
    lutenist is clearly identified as Foscarini.  I have done a bit of
    surfing the net but haven't found any trace of it.

    Monica