Dear all,

just an innocent question: where can you find music by Saint-Luc in the
"early style", I mean the more or less French style before the more or less
"galant" oriented style? I suppose - by reading this interesting discussion
- that there are two styles of Saint-Luc(s). Are  there?

Best,

Arto

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 14:14:14 -0400, "Roland Hayes"
<rha...@legalaidbuffalo.org> wrote:
> MH you should feel free to suggest and speculate but until you have a
>    cold hard fact you should continue to label your speculations as
>    such.   For the researchers AJN is referring to, their research has
>    reached an end for now on there being only one St luc.  enough!!

Others,
>    as
>       well as I, have questioned this and suggested a son or some other
>       relation (or even non-relation) may be another lutenist S Luc. As
>    said
>       earlier, my current speculation is the elder S Luc's oldest son
>    (also
>       named Jacques).
>       You say that Vendrix states that 'there is no evidence that S Luc's
>       sons were musicians'.  It is certainly the case that he says this
>    but
>       he then goes on to imply by a dodgy logic that this means they were
>       definitely not musicians. But, of course, a lack of evidence works
>    both
>       ways: there is no evidence that they were not musicians - simply
>    that
>       we haven't uncovered any as yet. This, essentially, is my reason
for
>       suggesting that more research is required and, certainly, that one
>       should refrain from mere assertion which, as you know, can so
easily
>       become generally accepted; especially if from the pen of a scholar
>    like
>       M Vendrix.
>       I take your point that 90+ isn't at death's door these days and I'm
>       sorry Arthur, that you're  upset about this - but, you may agree,
>    90+
>       was pretty exceptional for 1700.  However more than this, I suggest
>    we
>       need to be very careful in assuming the elder S Luc was the S Luc
of
>       the two MSs: it might be the case that he was, but until then I
>    suggest
>       we need to keep the matter open.
>       Finally, I don't know about 'harm' being done,  but if assumptions
>    are
>       tested and have to be justified that seems to me to be a very good
>       thing.
>       regards
>       Martyn
SPANISH
>       musicians, under the director of chamber music, Giuseppe Zamponi.
>       Jacques
>       performed villancicos at court when he was 13 (was he a
>    Wunderkind?),
>       and
>       the
>       court owned vihuelas.  His teacher may have been court
>       lutenist/theorbist
>       Philippe
>       Vermeulen, who as a youngster was sent by the court to Italy to
>       "perfect"
>       his abilities on theorbo with Piccinini.
>       The "cantabile" of his style that Baron remarked
>       about, was there from the Italian influences of his training.  He
>       didn't
>       write 200 pieces all in Vienna.  That he wrote so much music is
>       accounted
>       for by his attaining the age of at least 96.
>       I think I resent more than anything your suggestion that he was too
>    old
>       and
>       feebled to write music and travel, and using that as an excuse to
>       attribute
>       his works to his sons. And he was not in his 90s when he traveled
>       Berlin.
>       He was 84. The sensation of his playing may have been due to his
>    age.
>       Was Verdi feeble-minded when he wrote Otello and Falstaff?  What
>    about
>       Stravinsky?
>       One would never have expected him to end his career writing serial
>       music.
>       THERE IS NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER THAT SAINT-LUC'S SONS WERE
>    MUSICIANS.
>       And you can bet Couveur and Vendrix looked high and low to find
>    them.
>       The
>       Saint-Lucs were NOT a dynastic family of musicians.
>       Enough for now. The harm is done, and Couveur and Vendrix have
>    already
>       begun
>       to set the record straight.  Our responsibility is to realize what
>       happened
>       as a result of those fictional original New Grove and 1963 MGG
>       articles.
>       The recent New Grove Saint-Luc article has been completely
>    re-written.
>       haven't seen the latest MGG.  Arthur.
>       ==============================================
all
>       the
>       >   Suittes dessus and bassus, andattributres them one by one to
>    three
>       >   different composers named St.Luc.<sigh>
>       >   > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Hall"
>       >   <[3][10]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
>       >   > To: "Monica Hall" <[4][11]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
>       >   > Cc: "Lutelist" <[5][12]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
>       >   > Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:23 PM
>       >   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Foscarini Experience
>       >   >
>       >   >
>       >   >> Yes - the music is fun and I really enjoyed hearing the solo
>       pieces
>       >   too - but liner notes are just nonsense.   They have just made
>    it
>       all
>       >   up as a kind of concept to hang the recording on.
>       >   >>
>       >   >> Really it's irresponsible - because what they have said is
>    now
>       being
>       >   repeated as if it were true.
>       >   >>
>       >   >> What a world we live in.....
>       >   >>
>       >   >> Monica
>       >   >>
>       >   >>
>       >   >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Hall"
>       >   <[6][13]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
>       >   >> To: "Eugene C. Braig IV" <[7][14]brai...@osu.edu>
>       >   >> Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:20 PM
>       >   >> Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Foscarini Experience
>       >   >>
>       >   >>
>       >   >>>
>       >   >>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eugene C. Braig IV"
>       >   <[8][15]brai...@osu.edu>
>       >   >>> To: "'Lutelist'" <[9][16]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
>       >   >>> Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:12 PM
>       >   >>> Subject: [LUTE] Re: Foscarini Experience
>       >   >>>
>       >   >>>
>       >   >>>> I quite like that CD (especially the guitar solos that
they
>       opted
>       >   to record
>       >   >>>> as solos), but the liner notes do strike me as a bit
>       "whimsical."
>       >   >>>>
>       >   >>>> Eugene
>       >   >>>>