Gilbert, Arto:
   I don't recall having described modern music as 'ugly' nor having
   railed against inventiveness.  My point is just to ask the questions.
   But I will add that the 16th century lute was designed for and excels
   at transparent polyphony and, while modern chordal sounds can work, I
   haven't see much polyphonic writing of new music for the lute.
   Best wishes,
   Ron Andrico

   http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/11_courseLute/GallotsCometeM.pdf