I tried to send this a while ago but it never showed up. Maybe someone was censoring my some slightly dodgy tuning. Anyway: here is a shot at a couple of arrangements of fifteenth century songs. The music is a lot earlier than the earliest known lute music but very attractive and not difficult technically.

(Probably the lute should be in some arcane temperament...and played with a plectrum etc etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-L_GXq78QY

Anyone interested can find these ,and similar pieces,  here:

http://medievallute.info/pdf/

In an FAQ, Trystero Montevideo (aka Eric Redlinger - thanks to RT for that) says:

.. the elegance of the counterpoint comes through even in a simple rendering of these songs, and in fact this is the primary reason I have chosen to make them available in this (non-historical) way. The intabulations included here contain most of the cantus/tenor structure and incorporate notes from the countertenor when they are "essential" to the flow of the song (as in imitative passages, for example)....

Stuart