Hello ALL,

   Much has been discussed in the past on this list and on the medieval
   lute list on whether medieval lutes had frets or not.A There is a
   common misconception that lutes must have had no frets since the modern
   day oud has none either.A A  In fact nothing seems to be further from
   the truth than that.A Fretless Ouds appear to be a more recent
   evolution than originally thought.A  Iconography shows that arabic
   lutes did in fact have frets, other did not.A  The illuminations in the
   Cantigas de Santa Maria do show lutes with and without frets.A  I also
   recall seeing an ancient picture of a persian Oud with frets, but I
   cannot find it right now.A  Does anyone have that pic? I remember it
   circulating amongs this list.A  Quarter tones are not part of the
   medieval music literature, so I do not see why fretless lutes would
   have been the norm.A  In fact, even if you needed to play quarter
   tones, this could be achieved through fretting, just like the turkish
   Saz, which is fretted in quarter tones.A  Do not forget that frets have
   another purpose besides accurate pitch. They allow the sound to be
   substained more than if played fretless.

   That being said, I do enjoy playing oud without frets and do use it in
   certain medieval repertoire, such as the Cantigas de Santa Maria.A
   More because I like the sound than for authenticity.A  Authenticity can
   never be achieved when performing medieval music, as we know so little
   about the instruments, the strings, the way they were built, so on and
   so forth.A

   I first started playing medieval music on my Renaissance lute, because
   that's all I had.A  Throughout the years I acquired several
   instruments; oud, saz, gittern, turkish laouta, etc, but none can be
   considered as authentic for medieval music.A  They are simply
   instruments I like to believe are close to what would have been
   available in the middle ages, but were they that close?A  My oud is
   strung in Gut, because I like the sound, NOT because it is authentic,
   as even modern gut strings are nowhere close to what would have been
   available in medieval times.

   In short, play the music as you like to hear it, never say or pretend
   it is the authentic way.....just have fun with it.

   Bruno

   [1]www.estavel.orgA  ( medieval ensemble)

   On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Stephen Arndt