To Martyn & All:
   My point is, while we may try to recreate sounds of the past, we are
   constrained by the parameters of the present.  Echoing Arto's idea, the
   'truth' of what we hear is here and now.  I would prefer to immerse
   myself in the contextual evidence and damn the realities of modern
   performing constraints - except I like playing on strings that are
   possible to tune.
   Ron Andrico