To: "Mathias Roesel" <mathias.roe...@t-online.de>
Cc: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:18 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: What's the point to 'historical sound'

On Jul 2, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Mathias Roesel wrote:

...Music as a way of personal expression is a notion that didn't develop until the 19th century. Music to _raise_ fear, joy, anger, sadness, tranquility
etc. has been composed since the invention of monody. But not music  that
expresses fear, joy, anger, sadness, tranquility etc. of its composer

What about music that expresses the emotions of the performer? After all, if you don't play with feeling, you will never inspire any feeling in an audience. Who wants to sit and listen to a note machine? Not me. Anyway, I don't believe for one moment that music pre-19th C was not supposed to contain emotion. To me, it's pointless to play music unless it's an experience of delight for the performer. Surely it's that delight that causes an audience to sit up and take notice! I don't care how professional, or how historical, the performer purports to be, boring is boring.