   From: Thomas Walker <twlute...@hotmail.com>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:12 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] Mace
     Hey all,
     Interesting discussion.  I have to say, I'm with Sterling & Roman et
   al
     on this one.  I started on renaissance lute (actually, guitar before
     that), and D minor baroque lute is still a secondary instrument for
   me.
       But if you can find the basses (most of us can with some patient
     work), there is a vast repertoire that is available, and much easier
     than most of Dowland, for instance.
     From my perspective, the hardest lute music is Italian, c. 1580-1620.
     Piccinini's music, straddling the two epochs, is unrelentingly
     difficult. The bass work isn't too bad (even Toccata XX from his 1623
     print doesn't demand too much of one's "thumb radar"), but the left
     hand work is brutal.
     Zamboni's music for archlute doesn't spend a lot of time below the
   9th
     or 10th course (I think most of it you could play on a veil ton 10c
     lute), but even as his textures are leaner than Weiss', the left hand
     work is considerably more demanding.  D minor works!
     Cheers,
     Tom Walker, Jr.