On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:59:26 -0700, Alain wrote
> Hi Denys,
> It is indeed the project I was thinking of. Unfortunately, I still
> cannot find the XML specification on the WEB site though (after
> cursory browsing). If it is somewhere, I'd really like to take a
> look at it.

I might be able to help with a vew references here:

- Crawford, T.: Applications Involving Tablatures:
   TabCode for Lute Repertories.
   Computing in Musicology 7 (1991) 57–59

- Wiering, F. & Crawford, T.:
  Creating an XML Vocabulary for Encoding Lute Music

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.99.3337&rep=rep1&type=pdf

- David Lewis, Tim Crawford and Michael Gale:
  An Electronic Corpus of Lute Music (ECOLM):
  Technological challenges and musicological possibilities

http://www.uni-graz.at/richard.parncutt/cim04/CIM04_paper_pdf/Lewis_Crwaford_CIM04_proceedings.pdf

- Christophe Rhodes and David Lewis:
  An editor for lute tablature

http://www.uni-graz.at/richard.parncutt/cim04/CIM04_paper_pdf/Lewis_Crwaford_CIM04_proceedings.pdf
  (This is a TabCode editor written in Common Lisp - my editor of choice
recently)

> Interestingly enough, Tim's TabCode format is the
> inspiration for the tab format I have used to export Django files to
> a Braille compatible printer. Another advantage of XML is that it
> can be rewritten using XSL into a large variety of other formats,
> including by people who have no access to the original code. Alain

I have to aconfess that I'm not too enthusiastic about XML as a storage
format for (lute) tablature. If there's interest I might be able to elaborate
a bit (need to do some practising now) ...

 Cheers, RalfD

--
R. Mattes -
Hochschule fuer Musik Freiburg