On Aug 28, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Garry Warber wrote:

> I'm thinking theorbo purchase...  Where does one get a nylon theorbo
>   14-course string set?

Never mind the strings; where did you find a nylon theorbo?

> I measured my 8-course lute strings, which went
>   from 100cm to 110cm; obliviously too short...  Please, no "you must use
>   gut(!)" nonsense.  Are theorbo strings bought individually?  Please
>   name sources, if possible.

Yes, you should buy the strings individually.  Lutes and theorbos are not
standard lengths, so an all-purpose "set" of them, such as you can buy for a
guitar, makes no sense.

Any instrument you buy should have strings already on it, so if the seller can
tell you what they are, you can make changes as it suits you.  And BTW, for
long theorbo basses, gut works fabulously well and lasts forever.

You can find a list of string makers/sellers here:

http://www.unm.edu/~ctdbach/music/lute_strings.html

Has anyone done business Chris Henriksen/Boston Catlines lately?  I was once
very satisfied dealing with him, but I don't think I've actually bought any
strings in this century, and now that I finally need new ones, I feel like a
string virgin again.