Ah strings...D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, 12s. Oh, you mean on the lute? Well,
I'm not 100 per cent sure, as Malcolm's computer died just as he was about to
send me the string list. But all the trebles and bass octaves are gut. I am a
fan of old Kurschner basses, but will have to wait a year or so until these
ones die down a bit. The first course is an Aquila nylgut, which I hated when I
put it on, but after two weeks it has become indistinguishable from the other
gut strings.

I will doubtless experiment with strings over the coming year. I love the
creaky-ness of the gut strings, but I am having intonation problems which can
be really annoying. Damian Dlugolecki sent me some gut basses to try out, and I
am interested in Dan's gimped strings too. But it all gets very expensive! I've
read good reports about the new nylgut for the first six courses of a baroque
lute...or maybe I'll go all 1970s retro and use plain old nylon :-)

Malcolm Prior is making an entirely new website, and his old one no longer
exists. He is not very up to speed with the technology, so it might take a few
weeks before appearing online. I'll let you know when it does.

Thanks for the nice comments. I spend most of my time on the instrument reading
through Weiss suites, and the works of some guy called Sautscheck...

Rob

www.robmackillop.net