I'm not quite convinced by this form of transcription, myself. I have seen editions using a similar technique in decades past, including an early use of a computer program to convert tab to staff (perhaps it was German tab and used black noteheads).

But Finale can recreate this style. I use Finale for tablature and regular notation. (Samples on my Ning EG&V and Lute member pages.)

Gilberts notes are evenly spaced no matter what the the speed of of the above-staff rhythms, and half-note noteheads (they are angled more than whole notes) were used. So all notes would be entered as half-notes and each measure may require a different time signature (which will be hidden). In the Staff Attributes window, uncheck Stems and Time Signatures. I would probably turn them off after entering all notes and before final spacing and layout.

Here's how this could be done in Finale using the sample of Toccata I:
Count each note entry in your measure. so measure 1 would be set to 1/2. Enter the notes. Set the meter for measure to 4/2 and enter notes. Set meter of measure 3 to 7/2 and enter notes, etc. I would enter the above staff notes as Lyrics. At this point I would turn off Stem and Time SIgnature display.

-- R