I vote for the "sensible compromise"-  g stays "g" (easy!) and a low Bb. B flat
was used by other lute composers- see some of Nicolas Vallet's pieces- he has
the 10th course CC scoradature'd down to low Bb in at least three pieces in his
"Secret des Muses". He also wrote for 9 course lute, so a low C on the 9th
could obviously go down. Pushing the envelope has always been the norm; and
when one end of the envelope is already at the tearing point  it's the other
end that has to give. Is this the John Danyel piece  "Mrs Anne Grene her leaves
bee greene" based on the song "The Leaves be Greene?"

 There is an English Lute Society edition of Danyel's complete lute works, and
that one is printed as per the original and re-intabulated (if that is the
right term) by Martin Shepherd into standard tuning. Works very well that way-
but I haven't had the courage to re-tune my archlute (no 9 or 10 course lutes
in the house) to try the original. The editor's opinion is that the actual
pitches go 1/2 step lower than the "sensible compromise" i.e., f# 1st and AA
9th.

Dan